Chronic Pain Getting More Intense

Connect with others who are living with PKD and share stories and encouragement.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
BLK

Chronic Pain Getting More Intense

Postby BLK » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:05 am

I'm 43 and I was diagnosed with PKD about 7 years ago. I don't have much by way of family history other than my estranged biological grandfather died from kidney failure possibly several years ago. As for pain I have had my share of bouts with passing stones and a few ruptures, with the most recent episode behind about 3 weeks ago. I had the typical symptoms of a rupture: sudden intense pain, fever, sweating, nausea, blood in the urine. The pain didn't travel so I knew it wasn't a stone and the intensity eventually decreased within 24hours. I went to the Dr. and had the lab work came back fine, although my A1c was getting closer to borderline DM. So the Dr. started me on Metformin. I just went back to the Dr. yesterday because I've had increased pain in both kidneys since the last rupture and it seems worse at night. Does anyone else take Metformin and did it increase your pain when you started the medication? I've lost 25lbs since mid January with diet and daily exercise, and there hasn't been an increase in the intensity until the last few weeks, so that's why I suspect the Metformin. I've dealt with the daily pain for all these years, but now it's really taking it's toll on me, I can't hardly sleep anymore!

Re: Chronic Pain Getting More Intense

Postby 4metoo » Sun May 11, 2014 9:38 am

You sound like an excellent patient-going on your diet and losing weight to address your borderline DM. Cuddos to you! I used to do telephone health teaching as an RN and boy, would I love to have talked w/ you-you just got to it and took on the challenge!
I will be interested to know if you find the metformin is contributing to your kidney pain. I am 54 and have PKD and find my kidney pain increased with a new antirheumatic pain medication (an injection) that I took weekly recently. I don't know why that occurred exactly, but I can support your questioning, because I had a similar question. Is it at all possible that your weight loss may have reduced the dose of metformin required for your benefit similar to if you lost weight and reduced the dosage needed for a bp med. Have you spoken with a pharmacist about your question? Best of luck,
Karen

akshayv

Re: Chronic Pain Getting More Intense

Postby akshayv » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 am

I have heel pain and need arch support for my tired feet. I first wore orthofeet shoes around the house for an hour or two at a t ime, as suggested. This past weekend I ventured out to work my daughters Girl Scout cookie booths. I was on my feet 2 hours straight and my feet felt great.

Return to Living with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.