PKD and Gout

Connect with others who are living with PKD and share stories and encouragement.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

PKD and Gout

Postby gpc529 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:58 am

Hi all, New to this ; so bare with me. Long story short . Diagnosed at 15 with Pkd , kidney function decreasing pretty steady now at 46 . Was diagnosed with gout recently. I'm still very active and try to watch what I intake. These gout flare ups are worst! Dr says it's b/c my kindest not getting rid of uric acids. My question is: what meds are ppl taking? He gave me 40mg of uloric but it's not working! Getting flare ups almost every 3 weeks... can pkd patient take 80
Mg of uloric? My GNR is around low 20s at best....
Tnx

MaxL59

Re: PKD and Gout

Postby MaxL59 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:49 pm

HI gpc529,
my GFR is currently around 20 and I had gout problem in the last year. Here are some tricks to deal with gout.
Gout is caused by an accumulation of uric acid in the blood.
First trick: One way to lower uric acid is to take some vitamin C. I take everyday 500 mg of vitamin C and the gout crises disapeared, well almost. But it works.
When I have a gout crisis, I can take 1000mg to 1500mg of vitamin C and it goes away quick.

Second trick; Uric acid is a by-product of protein digestion. But it is also a by-product of sugar digestion. More precisely fructose. To be used by the body, fructose is processed in the liver and a by-product of the processing is uric acid. So avoid as much as you can fructose. White sugar is composed of 50% fructose. Honey, maple syrup are 100% fructose. Sugar in soft drinks is almost 100% fructose. If you see corn syrup in the ingredients consider it is 100 % fructose. So avoid soft drinks.

Friends of mine also say that they reduce gout crises by avoiding beer. Drink wine instead.

You will have to learn to spot fructose in your food. But I can assure you I take vitamin C and I can still eat some sugary treats. I do restrain off course.

Gout is relatively easy to manage.

My GFR is around 19, at around 30 I had acid reflux, around 25 I had muscle cramps. Now I have anemia.
For acid reflux, pineapple (a good source of manganese)
For muscle cramps: magnesium or you can reduce milk and cheese to reduce calcium intake
For anemia: iron
All these have one thing in common: the difficulties of the kidney to manage minerals normaly.

Wish you the best

MaxL59

akshayv

Re: PKD and Gout

Postby akshayv » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 am

I've ever had, but they are qualitatively the most comfortable walking shoe I've ever put my feet into. The shoes were true to size, and were "out of the box" comfortable the first time I put them on. I've experienced such intense foot pain that in the past I had to curtail my gardening activities. orthofeet shoes have given me back my gardening life. I can now stand again for hours without discomfort. I would definitely buy these shoes again.

Return to Living with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.