[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PKD Discussion Forums - View topic - Big Kidneys

Big Kidneys

Connect with others who are living with PKD and share stories and encouragement.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
PKDGUY

Big Kidneys

Postby PKDGUY » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:10 pm

At what age, GFR, and/or TKV did everyone’s kidneys get large enough to visibly see? I feel like mine are getting there but I do not know my TKV. I feel full all the time and my waist size has increased. I’ve also gained weight so I’m not sure what it is exactly.

markd

Re: Big Kidneys

Postby markd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 am

Im 35 and only know that my kidney lengths were 17cm and 21cm in June this year. The Dr claims my abdomin is "slightly big" and after getting the diagnosis I guess I could kind of agree with him - I always before this just viewed myself as needing to tone up a bit! I have put on a few kilos over the last couple of years, but not sure if that is disease related or just age/activity related - probably a bit of both but more of the latter? I don't feel full or bloated - just a tad bigger than I'd like to be, and that's with what im told are some pretty big kidneys. I dont have any chronic pain or discomfort at the moment thankfully, and I was told a few months ago that my kidney function is "totally normal". Since then I've started drinking more water (lets say 1.5l a day over and above the standard tea, coffee, juice that I was drinking before), I've started taking BP meds, and a statin (there are some research studies that have indicated positive results on kidney function with statins so hoping for the best with that).

What are your details? How old are you / how big are your kidneys / whats your gfr? It seems that there can be some variability after the age of 40.

Cheers,
Mark

DevBrac

Postby DevBrac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm

I noticed my abdomen growing around age 25. I am a petite female so maybe I'm a little earlier than most. I have also been symptomatic since birth so maybe I progress faster than most.

if it's starting to bother you, I would suggest a kidney cyst reduction surgery. I have both of my kidneys operated on last year because of the fullness and the doctor was able to remove 200+ cysts without damaging any healthy tissue.

I should note most doctors won't recommend this as it is not normal treatment for PKD in the USA.

Postby dealingwithPKD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but I definitely have 'PKD Belly' and I'm a male.

Stage 4 now, and even though I'm fit and only about 165 lbs or so, my stomach muscles bulge out. I can easily feel my remaining kidney without pushing far...and I suspect my liver's enlarged as well.

PKD belly is real, especially if you have it on your liver as well.

Postby peace » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Return to Living with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.