Weight training and PKD

Connect with others who are living with PKD and share stories and encouragement.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
Lynn

Weight training and PKD

Postby Lynn » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experiences with PKD and weight training? I had been doing CrossFit for half a year, and increased my protein intake to reduce muscle soreness and assist in building more muscle. I’m starting to see my blood pressure creep up, which is disconcerting. I have a nephrology visit in a month so will get checked out then. I’m 35 and was diagnosed when I was in my 20s and my kidneys were significantly enlarged with lots of cysts at that point. I have stayed active and lived a pretty healthy lifestyle so this is throwing me off! On a low dose lisinopril, but that is it.

Thank you!

Nanab

Re: Weight training and PKD

Postby Nanab » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:05 am

I have been doing High Intensity Interval Training (like CrossFit) for over a year after my PKD diagnosis. I have low blood pressure usually, however noticed my BP was slightly elevated during a week of particularly intense workouts. After assessing my water intake, and increasing it, my BP went back to my normal numbers. You could try increasing your water intake. I've also switched to plant-based protein supplements and decreased red meats. Keep up your work outs!

Return to Living with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.