childs diet

Do you have a young child or teenager with ARPKD or ADPKD? Talk to other parents who are caring for children with PKD.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

Content in the discussion forums is searchable (example: Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.). You can post anonymously or through a username you create, so your name will not be used unless you choose to do so. We understand that some topics are very sensitive and private in nature. If you prefer to have a private and secure conversation, please request to join the PKD in Children (PKD Foundation) Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/143565065822602
kstrong

childs diet

Postby kstrong » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:12 pm

How do you handle the diet for multiple kids when only 1 has pkd?

Re: childs diet

Postby Helen89 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 am

Reduce the salt intake that will more help to control the blood pressure in PKD patient. Low fat diet and moderate in calories is recommended to maintain the healthy weight. You should recommend to doctor or dietitian for proper kids diet.

pkdmom

Postby pkdmom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:20 pm

I have 3 children and only 1 has pkd. I have changed the entire household diet. First, it helps the one with pkd feel like he is getting more support from the family. Second, there is nothing in the diet that would be harmful to the other two children. In fast, it will help them to eat healthier when they become adults.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 pm

When I was first diagnosed with PKD, figuring out how to feed my family was a big challenge. I changed my diet drastically and I felt like my kids probably would not want to eat the same things I felt that I should eat. It took a while to figure out how best to manage nutrition but I think we all eat healthier because of my diagnosis. I relaxed a bit on my diet and everyone else has adjusted.

Return to PKD Parents

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.