How to make him understand

Talk to family, friends, caregivers and others who know and support someone with PKD.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
cwinters

How to make him understand

Postby cwinters » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:38 pm

I married into a family where most of my husband's fraternal relatives have PKD. My husband's father was diagnosed at the age of 31 and since then all of his brothers and sisters have as well. My husband's cousins have been diagnosed in the last 10 years one by one... We recently were made aware that our nephews have been diagnosed.
Now that you have kind of the picture I'm dealing with and the reason I am looking for answers. I have been begging my husband, Brian, for years to get tested, of course, he never listens. I want to help him get over his fear of finally finding out. His father passed away 1 & 1/2 years ago from complications of PKD. How can I make him understand that the earlier we know the more prepared we can all be? I don't want our baby girl to lose her dad so soon. He already has the distended belly. What should I do? Advise needed

linda

Re: How to make him understand

Postby linda » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:23 pm

there is not much you can do to get him to get tested.
I have a sister that decided not to get tested.
3 of my 7 siblings have this and my Mother died 2 yrs ago from this.
but my sister still refuses to get it done. some people just do not want to know.

you could try letting him know that if he was diagnosed with this you will be able to change his diet which will help him in the long run.

best of luck.

Return to Supporting Someone with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.