Nephrectomy Prior To Transplant or Simultaneously

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
jenn888

Nephrectomy Prior To Transplant or Simultaneously

Postby jenn888 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:52 pm

What can anyone tell me about having a nephrectomy prior to transplant? Where in the country are they doing the nephrectomy at the time of transplant? I saw a story about a woman who had this done at The University of Maryland. The University of Kansas has told me they do not do these simultaneously. They have told me it is too high risk. I am trying to figure out my options. Please any advice regarding nephrectomy and transplant would be greatly appreciated.

hb_brat

Re: Nephrectomy Prior To Transplant or Simultaneously

Postby hb_brat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:42 pm

I was told that this is two different surgeries as it poses too much risk...most important thing is the new kidney is accepted by your body, not rejected. I have 3 kidneys right now as the old two still had a little function [very little] at the time of my transplant.

Renal Rehab Believer

Postby Renal Rehab Believer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:40 pm

I have one sister who had her kidneys removed since they were so large she did not have room for her donor kidney. She told me that this operation was much more difficult than her transplant surgery. My other sister kept her birth kidneys and now has 3. I have researched this subject and I conclude that unless there is a medical reason to remove your birth kidneys it is best to leave them alone.

Lena73

Postby Lena73 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I am on the waitinglist for a combined liver and kidney transplant because of PKD. One of my kidneys will be removed to create enough space. There is a chance that the remaining kidney has to be removed in the future because the medication I have to take to prevent rejection can cause cystinfections in the remaining kidney.

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.