Post Transplant Nephrectomy

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
JDH

Post Transplant Nephrectomy

Postby JDH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 pm

I am wondering if anyone has had a kidney removed post transplant. I have serious pain from my native kidney on my transplant side and doctors are considering removing my native kidney. I received my transplant 3 months ago and the pain started shortly after transplant.

giftoflife1

Re: Post Transplant Nephrectomy

Postby giftoflife1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:34 pm

My brother had one nephrectomy at the time of his transplant, 2004, (standard incision), and a second one year after his transplant using the laproscopic nephrectomy method. It was the first laproscopic nephrectomy performed by his surgeon. My brother was athletic prior to his pkd kidneys growing so massively. One of them was over 12 lbs! Since his second nephrectomy has been able to mountain bike and be physically active again.

JDH

Postby JDH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks for the reply giftoflife1.
It sounds that it will be a positive to have them removed and to be rid of the pain.
I hope to find out if they will do it within the next few weeks.

Postby Patti_SanAntonioWalk » Sun May 11, 2014 9:32 am

I was fortunate to have my kidneys removed at time of transplant in 12/05. My left lobe of liver was resected as well (due to inability to eat much). So glad that was done then. The liver was regenerated and I have a few issues related to that - but feel great overall. Able to take up golf now that the native kidneys are gone.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun May 11, 2014 9:32 am.
Patti O'Grady Ruffin
Volunteer Walk Coordinator
San Antonio Chapter

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.