getting ready for transplant

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
bestdayever

getting ready for transplant

Postby bestdayever » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:19 pm

One thing I am hearing more about is the new guidelines to getting on the transplant list. I think it's because there are so many people waiting and so few organs. The team that decides what the guidelines are is hoping to get the people needing a transplant as healthy as possible. So one thing they are adding(not sure if it is officially added yet) is a weight guideline, they have a certain chart and you must be within the guidelines to get on the list. It is a great idea, but hard to fulfill if you have HUGE kidneys and feel crummy, hope they are taking all this into consideration.

kathiequinn

Re: getting ready for transplant

Postby kathiequinn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:12 pm

My doctor looked at my MRI and figured out approximately how much my kidneys weigh. Surely the transplant unit could take this weight into consideration.

Re: getting ready for transplant

Postby MammaC » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:14 pm

I was required to lose 30 lbs from the surgeon as well as my transplant physician due to the difficulty for the surgeon as well as my safety plus one of the side effects of Prograf is weight gain.

Healthy Weight

Postby risa simon » Sun May 11, 2014 9:25 am

If you are at a healthy weight, and the team knows you have enlarged kidneys, weight should not be a factor whatsoever. However, if you are overweight (after you subtract guesstimated kidney volume in pounds) it only makes sense to be at a healthy weight before your transplant, so you will recover well. Weight is often more of an issue for potential donors. BMI levels (Body Mass Index) protocols can vary from transplant center to transplant center) though, in my experience, they seem to be more focused on the donor.
Risa Simon, Volunteer Phoenix Chapter Coordinator
Patient Mentor, Speaker, Author: "Shift Your Fate: Life-Changing Wisdom For Proactive Kidney Patients"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0578113635

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.