What about the donor?

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
kathiequinn

What about the donor?

Postby kathiequinn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:18 pm

I've read that kidney donors have trouble getting health insurance after donation because having one kidney qualifies as a 'pre-existing condition'. I know Obama-care should take care of that, but so many people want to repeal Obama-care! What can we do??

Re: What about the donor?

Postby MammaC » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 pm

My donor had no problem getting health insurance.

Postby VAPKD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:34 am

It's best to avoid anecdotal examples. Do you have a link to an article where this occurs?

Donor Insurance Coverage

Postby risa simon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:59 am

While it is true that living kidney donors "could, conceivable" have issues with insurance coverage, I believe they are few and far between from isolated events [from small (not BIG) insurance carriers]. Know that your transplant center is required to tell the donor that this is a possibility, to be sure the donor would not let that possibility hold them back. Honestly, I believe the question is asked for two purposes. One is for "informed consent" and the other is to see how the potential donor would respond. If they have any reservation or concern about financial hardships and alike, they would be disqualified as a potential donor. They need to be "all in" no matter what the risk. Of course any surgery has risks and insurance companies can change the rules at any time, as we've seen for years. Hopefully 2014 will bring consistency and accountability to the table, once and for all.
Now, here's a good "peace of mind" reason that it would be absurd for insurance companies to deny insurance to kidney donors. Living kidney donors must be healthier than the healthiest to qualify to donate! This, notwithstanding, studies like the 2010 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association that examined the long-term mortality of more than 80,000 live kidney donors between 1994 and 2009. Here, it was found that their death rates over six years were no higher than the rates for similar individuals who hadn't donated a kidney. Experts say the results are in line with other studies that have shown that donating an organ doesn't appear to increase people’s risk of illness or death. In fact, it is believed that living kidney donors live longer! (And, from what I've heard, they live an even higher quality of life through their selfless and heroic act (and heartfelt desire) to help someone in need and make the world a better place). If that doesn't have sustaining power, I don't know what does!
Risa Simon, Volunteer Phoenix Chapter Coordinator
Patient Mentor, Speaker, Author: "Shift Your Fate: Life-Changing Wisdom For Proactive Kidney Patients"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0578113635

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am

Very good questions about coverage for a kidney donor - thanks for posting! I did a little research and asked for some help on this one. I hope this helps. Section 2704 of the Affordable Care Act states “A group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage may not impose any preexisting condition exclusion with respect to such plan or coverage.’’ Here is a link to a PDF with additional information.

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/la ... h-care.pdf.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am.
To learn more, visit pkdcure.org! If you have questions, please email education@pkdcure.org.

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.