When to have the transplant?

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
kris

When to have the transplant?

Postby kris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:39 pm

I'd love advice on when to have my transplant. My GFR is 21. I've been approved for a transplant, and several living donors are being evaluated. Assuming one of them works out, how do I know when it's time? The docs say it's up to me. On the one hand, I feel pretty lousy much of the time, sleep a LOT, have little energy, am on lots of meds for BP, calcium, etc, would love to get this done and feel better. On the other hand, I am still functioning with my kidneys, am tired but not super sick, still go to work most days, I know the anti-rejection drugs carry their own risks, .... I am very confused. Do I wait as long as I can, until it's nearly time for dialysis? Or go ahead soon, before I get sicker? Thanks for any thoughts.

hb_brat

Re: When to have the transplant?

Postby hb_brat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 pm

I would definitely do it before having to go on dialysis. I was put on the kidney transplant list about 20 years ago because my nephrologist wanted me to use a cadaver donor first if I could wait that long (5 year waiting period at that time), meanwhile my family/friends were being tested. I had the beeper and went through all the classes as if I were going on dialysis.

I was like you tired all the time, even having iron transfusions and Epoetin shots to try to increase energy. However my kidney function went down hill too far and I had to schedule the transplant, my husband was the donor and everything has been working fine since May 2001, praise God.

Nephrologist said the cadaver donation last approx. 10+ years, live donors last approx. 15-20+ years...so its possible to have more than one transplant in your lifetime! Something else to look forward to...lol, I met people at Cedars Sinai who had many transplants, like they just keep sticking them in there, it was amazing!

I guess if you have a lot of living donors that qualify, do it soon...If only one qualifies, try to hold out a little longer. Best wishes!

Renal Rehab Believer

Postby Renal Rehab Believer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:40 pm

I asked this question to my Nephrologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in January, 2015. My creatinine continues to rise (6.75 most recent) and gfr calculates to 6%. The amazing thing is that I feel better now than I did in 2013 despite these terrible lab values. I am living proof that it is not just about creatinine and gfr. There are three danger signs that may indicate it is time for a transplant. I have been told that when my blood pressure is no longer under tight control, when I start to accumulate fluid in my extremities or around my heart, and when my potassium starts to rise (harmful to heart) then I should get a transplant or start dialysis.

I believe that key factors to feeling better include exercising daily, eating a healthy whole foods diet (see nutrition tips on PKD site), and drinking plenty of clean water. (I carry water from my home everywhere I go as I know it is pure). Ask your medical team to help you figure out why you are so tired. I feel so much better since my anemia is under control and I am exercising daily. There may be some simple lifestyle changes you can make to feel better.

My potential live donor did not work out. I am seeking a new one. I continue to hope and pray that I will be able to have a preemptive transplant before dialysis. It has been proven statistically that a live donor and preemptive transplant is the ideal. However, kidneys do not last forever, so I would try to keep your birth kidneys a bit longer.

bethaevans

Postby bethaevans » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:23 pm

i'm just barely at stage 4 failure - gfr 26. i'm a nervous wreck about it. at what level gfr did you start looking for a donor kidney? how long did it take to find one? should i start looking now?

kav

Postby kav » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:40 pm

I remember this being a really inspirational webinar from the PKD website talking about when you should really start asking questions like that.

http://pkdcure.org/learn/multimedia/web ... e-possible

Jean_George123

Postby Jean_George123 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 am

Being the patient of Kidney transplant, I would recommend davita dot com/treatment-options/transplant this will help you in a better way.

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.