Single-antigen Hepatitis B vaccines

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
Summerwind

Single-antigen Hepatitis B vaccines

Postby Summerwind » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:36 am

At the transplant institute they said that I was not immune to hepatitis. I thought that I could just walk into the local Walgreens and get the hepatitis B vaccine. The nurse at Walgreens told me that since my GFR is 16 and my creatinine is 3.2 I should not get the regular vaccine. She recommended the RECOMBIVAX HB®. I told my nephrologist and he agreed. When I looked into getting that vaccine I was told it was not covered by my insurance and that it was $600.00. Is that particular formula my only option? As a teacher, I need to have all my vaccines up to date. Classrooms are like giant petri dishes for viruses and bacteria. I'll be going back to school on Tuesday.

Andy

Re: Single-antigen Hepatitis B vaccines

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:37 pm

I would ask the folks at your transplant clinic. I'm on the list at mayo clinic and I was informed I needed hepatitis a & b vaccines. I went to my pcp and got the first shot and then had to wait 6 months for the next one. My gfr was under 20. Ask your transplant team for their advice.

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.