Kidney Transplant Question -Replaced or Added?

Are you waiting to receive a transplant? Share your kidney transplant experience.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
Petrovich

Kidney Transplant Question -Replaced or Added?

Postby Petrovich » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:55 pm

A transplant is a few years away for me but my nephrologist told me on my last visit they wouldn't remove my pkd riddled kidneys but leave them in and add or 'piggyback' the new kidney. Honestly I've never heard of such a thing and I found his answer more than disappointing. Has anybody here had that procedure or did you have the bad kidneys removedwhen you had your transplant?

Andy

Re: Kidney Transplant Question -Replaced or Added?

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Petrrovich - no need to be disappointed by that comment, in fact it's good news. I'm on a waiting list right now and was told the same thing. Our pkd kidneys aren't as large as others and they will leave in to maximize function as long as it lasts. For example, my father had his 2 pkd kidneys as well as 2 transplanted kidneys inside of him after 2 transplants. If my memory is correct which seems to be getting worse as I'm in stage 5, his pkd kidneys eventually got smaller but they still had kidney function left even at 1-2 or 3 percent. I don't know if that lasted 20+ years but our kidneys hopefully will still have some function left in them so that's why they will stay at the time of transplant.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:37 pm.

Return to Preparing for a Kidney Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.