fistula

Conversations for those who are on dialysis, have been before or are getting ready to start.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

fistula

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:41 pm

At what GFR did u get a fistula put in?

Kona

Re: fistula

Postby Kona » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:55 pm

My GFR is 15 and my fistula was installed in June 2016. My numbers have been dropping but they will use 15GFR as a guide to start dialysis. My neph focuses on the BUN numbers. this i guess is the level of toxins that remain in your system. She claims that as long as my BUN stays stable I am good. She does not want to prematurely start me on dialysis unless needed. Aside of feeling tired and hard to focus getting anything meaningful accomplished I seem to be doing OK. I have opted for peritoneal dialysis but my neph wanted to get a fustula installed for good measure. They want to ensure you are ready for dialysis and not have to start dialysis in an emergent fashion. The access tube has not yet been installed for peritoneal and she wants to wait untll I start dialysis before installing the tube so I am not walking around with the tube and not needed. Quick install and is ready for use in 3-4 weeks or so...hope this helps, take care and wish you the best!

Return to Living on Dialysis

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.