CCPD with large kidneys

Conversations for those who are on dialysis, have been before or are getting ready to start.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

CCPD with large kidneys

Postby William_T » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pm

I am pre-dialysis and am at the stage where I need to be thinking about what type of dialysis I want to do. My Neph says I may have problems doing CCPD because of the size of my kidneys ( the last CT scan said they are both about 17cm). I also have a heart condition that MAY some day require a pacemaker and my Cardiologist doesn't like the possibility of getting a peritoneal infection that might go into my heart ??? My Neph says a peritoneal infection would not go above my diaphragm and that he would talk to my Cardiologist if I decided to do CCPD. I am also in the process of getting an AV Fistula. My Neph thinks I should get one whether I do CCPD or not. That way if something happens I am already to go. I don't have a problem with this. Right now I am leaning towards Hemo (like the idea of having some down time days with no dialysis) and see how it goes. If I really hate it or it doesn't go well I can switch to CCPD. Don't want to do Home Hemo.
I am 71 years old and have known that I have PKD since my 30's so I have dodged the built for a long time. Any input from folks would be appreciated.
Bill

Return to Living on Dialysis

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.