Post Transplant Nephrectomy

Share stories and experiences with others who have received a kidney transplant.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
JDH

Post Transplant Nephrectomy

Postby JDH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm

I am wondering if anyone has had a kidney removed post transplant. I have serious pain from my native kidney on my transplant side and doctors are considering removing my native kidney. I received my transplant 3 months ago and the pain started shortly after transplant.

Re: Post Transplant Nephrectomy

Postby ganncamp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 pm

My mom had a bi-lateral post-transplant natal nephrectomy. Her kidneys were large - her center of gravity had changed and she was walking like she was pregnant before the nephrectomy.

It was a big incision down the middle of her belly - I'm guessing the length of the incision was related to the size of her kidneys and the placement was probably because they were going after both of them. She had to have hernia surgery the following year, and I believe it was related to the nephrectomy. There were complications after the hernia surgery, but other than that, I believe she has been very happy.

madisonkris

Postby madisonkris » Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Many years ago my mom had both kidneys removed post-transplant due to recurring infections in both. The surgery was tough - more significant than the transplant - but she recovered well and was happy to quit fighting infections.

bestdayever

Postby bestdayever » Fri May 30, 2014 6:16 pm

I had one kidney removed before transplant and one removed 4 years after transplant, it was well worth it. I thought the surgery was harder the second time but it eliminated so much of the pain. One thing the doctors are talking about now is the liver moving into the space made by removing the kidney, which is what is happening to me. The enlarged liver doesn't seem to be as painful as the kidney was.

bears

Postby bears » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:50 pm

These days, at least in my case, I had a double nephrectomy. The surgeon used only three ports closed with steri-strips, and one 4" midline incision discretely curved to bypass my navel to receive my "bad boys". I was out the next day and within a week I was 20+ pounds lighter and feeling very good. The procedure was much easier than my transplant and so was my recovery. I don't know if all surgeons do it this way but in my opinion it was worth having both removed at once.

joy9s

Postby joy9s » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:46 pm

@Bears. Where did you have your bilateral nephrectomy? It sounds like you had a great experience, and we are looking to find a good urology group for my husband this year.
Thank you!

madisonkris

Postby madisonkris » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm 19 months post-transplant. My docs want to remove both of my native kidneys due to recurring UTI's - they say it's likely the infections stem from ruptured cysts etc. They say I should have fewer infections and so less antibiotics and less risk to my transplanted kidney due to an infection turning serious. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this, or generally about experiences with bilateral nephrectomy. Thanks.

miraclegirl

Postby miraclegirl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:37 am

I am almost 1 yr post transplant - from a live donor I met 2 months after moving to this area. :D Creatinine going up a bit - 1.20 but fluxuates to higher at times. Blood pressure finally under control after 6 months of different meds. My native kidneys have multiple possible complex cysts that continue to be monitored. I would like them to come out. I've been having back/flank pain for months now. Harder to sleep/get comfortable. I sit all day for my job at a computer and by the end of the day I'm just tired from the pain. I'm otherwise healthy and 50. Been taking naps coming home from work each day. Questions are: How do you know that flank pain/lower back pain is from my native kidneys or something else? How do MRI and ultrasounds work to know whether a cyst is complex and considered something to be concerned about? Why am I so tired this last few months? I want to feel like I felt 3-4 months after transplant with a TON of energy and NOTICEABLE difference in my overall demeanor. My nephrologist is great....I do labs once a month and all #'s looks normal - besides my rising creatinine. Would I feel THAT much different with my native kidney's removed? I understand that it's a much more complicated surgery then the transplant....just feeling discouraged since I'm not feeling that great 1 yr. after transplant.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 am

I had a bilateral nephrectomy four years ago. I am still waiting for my transplant. I think it was the best decision. I had recurrent infections and so much abdominal pain. Here at Jackson Memorial, in Miami, the doctors recommended to do the nephrectomy before transplant to prevent what many of you are going thru. The wait has been long , but with God' s help everything is possible.

Sirbasku

Postby Sirbasku » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I had one PKD kidney removed approx. 5 years after transplant. I think it was a harder recovery than transplant surgery but it was sure worth it. I feel like a million bucks now! I have less bulge, I can tie my shoes without feeling out of breath, I can eat normally and not feel overstuffed after a small meal and I feel even more healthy. I have been rock climbing consistently for a few years and now with the one PKD kidney out I have more stamina and actually feel healthier than I ever have before in my life. At over 50, that is saying something.

Return to Living Post-Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.