Life After Transplant

Share stories and experiences with others who have received a kidney transplant.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

Life After Transplant

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am

Let's discuss life after transplant. I'm approaching my 4th KidneyVersary and doing GREAT.
How are you doing? Let's chat about immunosuppression, side effects and keeping yourself from getting an infection.

CurePKD

Re: Life After Transplant

Postby CurePKD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Guest wrote:Let's discuss life after transplant. I'm approaching my 4th KidneyVersary and doing GREAT.
How are you doing? Let's chat about immunosuppression, side effects and keeping yourself from getting an infection.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Congratulations! Wonderful!
It has been 15 months since my transplant and I am doing excellent also.
Exercise plays an important role in my life, it helps improve and maintain my overall health.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:18 pm

After a kidney transplant your body is not able to fight off infections as they did before the transplant.

I had gotten the virus CMV 8 months after my transplant. This was one of my mismatches from
my donor. I was placed back on Valcyte until my numbers were back under control.
I believe letting myself get run down "over working myself" played a role in getting this virus.
Advice: Slow down when necessary, don't take on more than you should, find people to help with big projects.
Especially when you should have had more help to begin with. Learning as I go.

Postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 am

[Cheryl , Detroit Chapter ]Congratulations! Wonderful!
Todays' physicians are more successful at striking a balance with rejection drug which helps being at higher risk of infections.
There are many different immune suppress drugs. Exercise, diet-eating healthy, and vitamins will decrease risks of the medications.
Being suppressed, you can help fight off harmful invaders "viruses" by wash hand often, avoid being around people that have colds
or sick, and keep from pets if possible or again wash often.

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Congratulations on your successful transplant! I hope you can look forward to many successful years with it! I thought it would help you to have positive outlook to hear my story. My kidneys failed in 1987 from PKD. After only 4 1/2 months I received a cadaver transplant. To say that the following years have been a wonderful blessing would be an understatement!

This kidney has lasted 28 years and has seen me through my career at NASA (retired at 58), 10 years as a consultant and 20 years of semiretirement and is still going strong! The kidney has survived quad-bypass, stomach cancer (Malt Lymphoma completely arrested), bowel resection and dozens of Squmaous skin cancers (thank goodness for great Dermatologist).

My advice to you is to be very compliant with your medicine and checkups and, otherwise, live as though you are a completely normal person who has many interests, has fun, fights through hardships, works hard and has someone that you love and depends on you.

Andy

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:34 am

Thanks for the post nasa guest - I had my cadaver transplant 8 months ago and have been doing great. 40 years old and have been feeling down the last few weeks and this was a great pick-me up. I'm hoping the withdrawal of prednisone over the last 2 weeks is the culprit for me being not my normal positive self but I'm just reminding myself how amazing and lucky I am for my transplant and that I'm officially off prednisone.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi everyone, I recently had my live kidney donor from my wife 3 weeks ago. They took out both of my kidneys. I was affected with C diff inflection few days after surgery and I have been taking medicine. I feel better as each day come by. Crentinie level is 1.0 and taking anti rejection medicine on time each day. I'm looking forward to be fully recover to get back to my normal life .

Jean_George

Postby Jean_George » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 am

It's Jean, I have been diagnosed with PKD 2 years ago and I did what my Nephrologists told me. Started dialysis at the earliest and now I am doing good. I think you should go through this website https://www.davita.in/kidney-transplant.php this will give you complete details about Kidney Transplant. DaVita is India's no.1 kidney care center. You can also contact DaVita at Tel : +91 90191 20000 or Email : Feedback.india@davita.com or visit the page https://www.davita.in/

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:30 am

Hi i had my transplant on jan 2017..have been on myfortic and tascent .its beena year now and things are looking up.my brother was the donor.Was done with CMV virus for a week but recovered well and am back to leading as normal a life as possible.being away from infections and only eating home cooked food.

Return to Living Post-Transplant

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.