What are challenges you face for your walks?

Share ideas, ask questions and connect with other Chapter, Walk, Education and Fundraising Coordinators.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

What are challenges you face for your walks?

Postby Patti_SanAntonioWalk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm

This is the 11th year of the San Antonio Walk for PKD. We have learned something new every year. What have you found to be the largest challenges you have encountered for your walk events?
Patti O'Grady Ruffin
Volunteer Walk Coordinator
San Antonio Chapter

Re: What are challenges you face for your walks?

Postby annwiesman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Last year was my first year. My biggest challenge for the overall walk was finding volunteers that were empowered to make decisions without needing me. I felt like I had to be too many places at once.
Cincinnati\Dayton Walk Coordinator

Postby Patti_SanAntonioWalk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 am

Hi Cincinnati, I know how invaluable volunteers are! Have you applied to Kohl's for grant yet? If not, this is a great way to get volunteers. In San Antonio, I usually request all 4 stores to join us. Last year we had 2 stores help out and that brought 10 volunteers! This is a "win-win" as if Kohl's gets 5 volunteers, your walk will get $500 support! Since Kohl's requires child disability as one of the criteria, we list the impact of ARPKD and children with ADPKD heavily on application. Another resource is high schools. We are fortunate to have a "health careers" high school. This teens are very good volunteers. I believe most high schools require service from their students. Another resource we used last year was Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts. While the Cub scouts were a little young, they still made great greeters and willing to help out where needed.
Patti O'Grady Ruffin
San Antonio Chapter

Postby Patti_SanAntonioWalk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 pm

San Antonio has been successful with creation of teams using incentives. However, most of the teams do not raise much money (we even have one team that has around 80 team members and only half register - according to team photo). What are some ideas that have worked for you for engaging more fundraising from teams? We have a new Team Captain to help and any ideas you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Patti O'Grady Ruffin
San Antonio Chapter

Postby Sue Full » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Ann,

Thanks for sharing that challenge because I am sure that every coordinator deals with this to some extent. I have two suggestions for you.
1. Hold a mandatory training for people that are performing key volunteer roles such as registration. I know it requires an additional time commitment but even if it is a conference call I think it is beneficial. If you have volunteered before it is required, because processes have to change over time and it is good to get everyone on the same page.
2. Find a key volunteer that can be responsible for staffing and assigning volunteers. This person can field most of the questions and direct the volunteers on Walk day and free up the Walk Coordinator to host the event and be there for the big questions.

If anyone else has ideas, I would love to hear how you handle this issue.

Postby Julie Harman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Patti, thanks for bringing up the use of Kohl's volunteers. It's a great way to make money for your event while getting the extra set of hands you might need. If anyone has any questions about the program, please let me know. I've attached a document that might be helpful, but please let me know if you would like me to email to you.
Attachments
Kohl's Program Summary.png
Kohl's Program Summary.png (68.57 KiB) Viewed 2322 times

Postby Patti_SanAntonioWalk » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Julie, thanks for the info for the Kohl's application process. I have learned to check boxes for all the Kohl's stores in your area - that gives you better chance to have volunteers come out (and remember 5 volunteers gets you $500!). My experience has been to highlight the impact of PKD in children - promote info strongly for recessive PKD while still stating how this impacts children with dominant PKD. Kohl's criteria requires children's disabilities. Hope this helps!
Patti O'Grady Ruffin
San Antonio Chapter

Return to Coordinators

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.