[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PKD Discussion Forums - View topic - Challenges

Challenges

Talk to family, friends, caregivers and others who know and support someone with PKD.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.
SewCrazy in NY

Challenges from caregiver perspective

Postby SewCrazy in NY » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:49 am

I am the wife and friend to my high school sweetheart for over 35 years. At around age 31 while going through chemo therapy treatments, he found out he had PKD and inherited this disease from his mom. He never knew until the routine catscan showed it. He is now 57 and his kidney function is less than 20%. We both attended a kidney transplant seminar to learn the process and options. We chose to have no children long ago, so we are together often though I still work full time and he retired a few years ago. My stress is dealing with his mood swings the past many years that come and go on a whim. He functions in his daily life well, but the past few years I see him less active and doing more sedentary things at home and not wishing to spend time with others. HIs mood swings hit me to my heart core with pain by what he says to me and often they are irrational verbal statements. I support him and always will. I cannot donate my kidney but plan to see if I can match to someone else and hope that pushes my husband to the top of the list for a donation. We are not there yet in that process of donation, but starting it.
My question is: How do I keep my sanity when his moods at times are hurtful to me. I am very upbeat and caring and loving to everyone, but for the past few years he seems to be selfish of me and does not wish me to spend time with others. I am thinking he is scared and wants me close to him most of the time. At times I feel like I am suffocating and need some alone time, which I only get at my job. I love him and he knows it and I will do anything he needs with this journey, but how do I keep from losing my mind? thanks for any reply. I just found this support forum today.

Re: Challenges

Postby Host24 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Previous

Return to Supporting Someone with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.