My Grandmother with PKD

Talk to family, friends, caregivers and others who know and support someone with PKD.
Forum rules
Please note: This site contains user-submitted content, comments and opinions, and they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the PKD Foundation. Information shared in the forums is not medical advice. Please consult your nephrologist or health care team for information and guidance specific to your health.

My Grandmother with PKD

Postby thisguyteejay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:55 pm

Polycystic Kidney Disease (or PKD for short) has always been an important part of my life for as long as I could remember. My name is TJ Sullivan, and I am a nineteen year old male from Northern New Jersey. Just about twenty-five years ago, my grandmother, Theresa LaBarck was diagnosed with PKD. Doctors, back then, really didn't know much about this disease. Her doctors actually gave her a ten-year life frame, believing she would die sooner rather than later. However, to this day she is still going strong. My grandmother is one of the many strong women I have in my life, but her story is different from the many others. Her dedication to life and determination to overcome such a powerful disease has kept her up and on her feet for a very long time. She is constantly thinking positive, and always giving to other people which makes her the happiest. However, her Kidney Function has lowered significantly in recent years and kidney surgeries can be extremely expensive, as some of us know first hand.
Last year, my grandmother fell ill with colitis and a kidney infection, which led to a two-month stint in the hospital, and multiple surgeries. That was when I began my mission to bring all of her friends and family together to continue to fight with her. A few months ago, I came up with the idea to host a DIY Fundraiser, benefiting the PKD Foundation and honoring my beautiful grandmother. We did just that in August of 2015, and had a wonderful time doing it. I became connected with the PKD Foundation, and the New Jersey Chapter Coordinator. The Chapter actually attended my event, which consisted of music, dancing, great food, a 50/50 Raffle, and information about the disease. We raised almost $2,000 that day and split the earnings with the foundation. We also just participated in our first ever Walk for PKD in New York City, where my family and I raised more money, and got acquainted with that Chapter as well.
A few weeks ago, my grandmother took a spill and suffered a broken finger and fractured leg. However, that doesn't stop her. She is still going strong, and attending therapy three days a week. My grandmother is the strongest woman I know, and in my opinion, deserves to be rewarded for her efforts in fighting this tragic disease.

Return to Supporting Someone with PKD

These discussion forums are owned and maintained by the PKD Foundation. To learn more visit pkdcure.org.